One Day, Two Looks
Is it just me or is everyone just busier than they used to be? I feel like my days are packed! Living in the constant hustle and bustle of Chicago, I have to be ready at a moment’s notice to attend a party, dinner, play, or art installation. That means rarely having time to stop at home before going out for the evening. Because of this, I’ve had plenty of time to perfect the technique of taking one look from day to evening.
The trick, of course, is to start with a basic outfit that will easily dress up or down. A little black dress (or Little White Dress, if you want to stay on trend) is the classic, but a great A-line skirt and button down blouse can work just as well. The key is to choose pieces that will let your accessories be the star of the show – your shoes, your bag, and (of course) your jewelry!
Here’s a few tips for using accessories to transform a look from office chic to perfect for a cocktail party, theatre, or dinner date (or wherever your evening takes you)!
1) Turn up the sparkle! For day I love jewelry with chunky, earthy stones or even non-traditional materials such as cattle horn or rubber. Evening calls for more drama. I love to add faceted stones such as Blue Topaz, Amethyst, or Clear Quartz to an outfit for a more polished look.
2) Shoes make the outfit! If you wear flats during the day, slipping on a pair of heels instantly dresses up an outfit. Try heels in a bright color to add a fun accent to your Little Black Dress.
3) Make it match! I tend to go for pieces that complement, rather than match perfectly, for my everyday looks. For evening, though, I love to wear a full matched set: earrings, bracelet, necklace, and ring.
4) Add a clutch! Switch to a smaller bag, if you can.
5) Go for the Statement piece! If you tend towards understated jewelry for your office look, consider changing out for one high-impact piece for your evening look. A great statement necklace or chunky earrings are great choices.
What’s your favorite day-to-evening trick? I want to hear from you!